Sunday, November 8, 2009

Me encanta Italia!


Okay so many of you are asking for more blogs so here they come…..I’m sorry for the delay but blogging is difficult for me. So everyone’s job is to leave comments on my blog, the Type A in me needs some feedback. When I email or leave status updates on Facebook, I have conversations, let’s be honest anyone who knows me knows I like to talk but I need responses, blogging is like talking to a wall. I need more attention than that :)

Okay so after 9 wonderful weeks in Barcelona, I packed my bags, I was ready to go; I stood outside and left on a jet plane for Italy. Just for the record, I have concluded Italy is my favorite country and Florence is my favorite city. Next time I’m jobless, since I will have conquerored Spanish, I will be moving on to spending 6 months in Italy to learn Italian. I wonder if you can study Italian in Texas, I’d love to start soon. Anyway on this trip I spent 5 days in Roma and 4 days in Florencia. I spent 10 wonderful days drinking wine, eating pasta, eating pizza and loved every minute of it. In Rome we went to the Coliseum, Roman Forum, Vatican City, and wandered around the city. I won´t go into many details on the sites as I know many have seen them. If you haven´t and want advice on what to see first let me know and I´ll bore you with my details. I will say though that during the Angels and Demons tour we ended up at St Peter´s Square in Vatican City while the Pope was conducting the Mass to cauterize the 5 new Catholic Saints. I saw the Pope on the big screen, which was pretty cool, I wasn´t expecting to actually be that sort of close to the Pope or see him conducting the service. I saw the Sistine Chapel as well which was amazing but we picked the day after the cauterizing. So it was incredibly crowded so either I didn´t get the full effect or I just find the Last Supper the most amazing piece of art work ever. The Last Supper last year left me stunned, you just could feel the chaos of the moment in the art work. However, then you go see the David, the perfect man, and that leaves you pretty happy as well. Still, I have lots more to see in Roma in the next trip……dang I´ll have to go back.

Next we headed to Florence. I love Florence; this was to be the relaxing part of the trip. We ate more food and drank more wine and went shopping! Okay, I just have to say the trip last year of 5 women left some marks in Florence. We went back to Donatello (the purse shop) and were remembered. We had a great time hanging out with Donatello. We also went back to the food market and bought more cheese, truffle honey, and spices. There is just something about bringing a little part of Italy home that is wonderful. Everyone will be happy to know we did not try to buy yet another case of wine and have that shipped back. Sadly we left the Italian vino in Italia. We also decided to do another cooking class and low and behold ended up in the same class as last year! Anyway, everyone will be proud to know my cooking skills actually improved, I was only taken off one duty this year and was the best at rolling the pasta. Valerie and I will be cooking a pasta dinner from scratch when I return. While I suck at cooking, I have decided I should specialize in Italian cooking because it is yummy. The rest I just don’t care about. Anyway, enjoy some of the pics from Italy.

1 comment:

  1. Did you know I nearly died outside the Baptistry in Florence in 1999? I was inches away from two speeding police cars screeching past going after some illegal street vendors. One of the side mirrors clipped me and spun me pretty good. True story.

    ReplyDelete