Friday, August 7, 2009

Madrid.....

Well I took some great pictures of Madrid today (I was much more awake) but either I can't find the camera cord to upload or I left it at home. So pictures at the moment will have to wait. I went to the Palacio Real (Royal Palace) that is supposed to be the Spanish Versailles however the Spanish monarch ran out of money or power about 1/4 of the way through. Needless to say while pretty and with plenty of Rocco just doesn't measure up. However some of the gardens I went through at the Palace and the Parque Retiro (sorta like a Central Park) were amazing. I walked all over the old Madrid which was up and down hills and through shade (very appreciative) and amazing. I saw some interesting characters, like a guy dressed in a lime green button down with shorts that had hot pink stripes mixed with lime green stripes and so many fanny packs among 17 -18 years olds I stopped in my tracks. I found amazing Sangria and spent the late afternoon at Plaza de Santa Ana, I new favorite spot of mine. Granted this Santa
Ana isn't the one that Texas gets to take claim for over coming....

Also there was a statue of Don Quixote de la Mancha, and if you ever had to go watch the play of Don Quixote in Tyler as I did you'd laugh too. However the Plaza de Espana was gorgeous.

Tomorrow I'm off to Barcelona, I'm looking forward to the beach. BTW according to the staff at the hotel my espanol is muy bueno. Granted I realize I'm paying for these to tell me that I appreciate the praise and appreciate their patience with teaching me new words when I say Como se dice? The Spanish is coming back slowly and can only get better come classes on Monday.

No comments:

Post a Comment