Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Parc Guell


Well on Thursday we headed to Park Güell. This is a park that was designed by Gaudí but only 3km of it was finished then money ran out. We were told this was a very pretty park. Now in my Texas mind this meant lots of shade and trees and grass. NOPE. This park was a desert basically. It was rocks and sand a little grass but very little shade. For my dad, you could consider this like Sea World in San Antonio year 1. Plus the closest metro stops are almost 1 km away and it is uphill. And when I say uphill I mean the incline is so steep you are walking at an angle or up steps. Now someone did take pity on the out of shape Americans and for a few blocks you have escalators. I was so hot just by the time we reached the park I had no idea if I would be able to find it fun. First a park of dirt really isn’t pretty to look at, it looks like you were driving in West Texas and wondering when you’d actually see something. However we did finally get to the main entrance to see the buildings and monuments that Gaudí built. They were pretty cool; it was rocks with mosaics to make up the different styles. What made this trip even more amusing was as I had no idea on the sand I was in a white dress and sandals. Make a note: if you visit Barcelona and go to Parc Güell you need comfy clothes that breathe (as in shorts and a tank), water bottle for the hike up there, and tennis shoes for the dirt. Never wear white. Anyway it was an adventure to see some cool buildings. I probably walked a total of 3-4 km that day; I hope I burned/sweated off some serious calories.




2 comments:

  1. hahahah so noted. no white. :p will save white for afternoon tapas and sangria..... on second thought, that may not be a wise choice either

    ReplyDelete
  2. If it's any consolation at all, that's a great photo of you in the white dress!

    ReplyDelete